I have had two very lovely ladies tag me in the Leibster Awards – Danielle from Bubs on the Move and Wendy from Beach Style Mum. Thank you girls! The Leibsters are awarded from one blogger to another as a way of getting to know each other a bit better and especially to welcome new bloggers.
They have each given me 10 questions to answer –
Questions from Danielle
(1) What is your favourite memory from traveling with your kid/s?
Getting soaked together on the Wild West Falls log ride at Movieworld this year. Pure joy.
(2) What is your favourite aspect of life at home (because all travel bloggers need reminding sometimes that homelife is precious too)?
Filling our home with friends and family for bbqs, playdates and birthday parties.
(3) Describe the scene of your child’s most devastating travel meltdown.
Embarrassingly I can’t think of one. Perhaps we cater to them too much? Sure they get whingey and painful when they’re tired, but they really are fantastic little travellers.
(4) What was the very first trip you took with your child/children?
We started with Avoca Beach only an hour or so up the road when Miss 7 was a couple of months old.
(5) What is your favourite type of accommodation.
Self-contained apartments or houses. We’re trying Airbnb soon, which seems ideally suited to families.
(6) Which country’s residents do you think welcomes traveling families with the most warmth?
Fiji has been the kid-friendly winner for us so far. Even on the flight with kids everywhere, noise and mess, nothing phased the flight attendants.
(7) What is your favourite memory of travel or local exploration from your own childhood.
Campervanning around Europe at age 12 was life-changing and addiction-forming. I would go back every year if I could.
(8) One website that you fine valuable in trip planning.
Tripadvisor is always the best place to start.
(9) One item that you never leave home without.
Phone charger! But I always remind myself when I walk out the door that if I have my passport and credit card, then I’ll be fine.
(10) Pre-boarding or boarding last. Your preference and reasons.
Pre-boarding with kids to avoid standing in yet another queue and to give us a bit of breathing space to get settled and flight needs unpacked.
Bonus question (11) Where are you going on your next trip?
We have a couple of domestic trips planned for coming months, but there’s talk of stretching the kids’ flying time to Florida next year for a Disney extravaganza!
Questions from Wendy
1. What was the last book you read?
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking. Essential reading for any introverts or parents/partners of introverts. Brilliant.
2. Do you shop early for Christmas or leave it to the last minute?
I aim to have it all done by mid December. I keep wishlists for the kids on Evernote through the year.
3. Describe your ideal Saturday
I’m happy with any weekend day that involves a sleep in with my husband. No early morning rides (him), runs (me) or knocks on the door (kids).
4. Favourite breakfast food?
Pancakes. No, french toast. I’ll go with either as long as they’re served in a cafe.
5. What was your first paid job?
I was the worst waitress in the world at age 14. It didn’t last long.
6. Which celebrity would you most like as your best friend?
Katharine Hepburn. The best of the best.
7. Beach or snow for a holiday destination?
Beach. No question. Warm is much more fun than cold.
8. At school I was known for being good at….
I was a nerd at a school for nerds, so I fitted right in. Straight sciences was my gig. And I loved to dance. The annual House Chorals was a highlight.
9. Best blogging moment / highlight so far?
The Problogger conference this year was a whirlwind of awesomeness. I was way out of my comfort zone, stressed to the hilt with the crowds of people I didn’t know, but managed to come out the other side having met some spectacularly beautiful souls.
10. What skill or talent do you wish you had?
I wish I could do small talk. Definitely room for improvement there.
I’d like to nominate these gorgeous girls. Most of whom I met at Problogger –
Rene from Together We Roam
Dan from Miss Chardy
Ros from Sew Delicious
Belinda from Gallerie B
Vicki from Style on V
Alli from Ducks on the Dam
Please choose any 10 questions from the ones above.